Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Welcome to the world sweet boy!

Well here it is, the birth story in all it's glory!! I will try to make it short and sweet, but let's be real this might be a really long post! So here goes....I woke up at 7:00 a.m. on September 6th, this was supposed to be the day that I was going to welcome my little boy to the world. It was the date I had set for my induction (of course after going over my due date by three days....even though two different doctors swore they didn't think I'd even make it to my due date before going into labor myself, pshhh) The evening before I got a call from Labor and Delivery and the nurse told me that they should get me in by 9:00 a.m. the next morning, and that they would call me between 6 and 7 in the morning to tell me exactly what time to come in, but if I hadn't heard from them by 7:00 a.m. to call them. So my alarm went off at 7, and I hadn't heard from them. So I called L&D and of course they had a bunch of women go into labor that night and they were swamped, and since I was an elective induction they were going to have to push me back, but told me they thought they would be able to get me in by 11:00 a.m.....BUT if I hadn't heard from them by then, then I should call again. So, just my luck, 11:00 rolls around and no call from them, so I call back. Two emergency c-sections came in and they were too busy....sooo....you guessed it.....I should call back at 1:00 pm if I hadn't heard from them by then. 1:00 rolls around, no call. So I call back....they are still too busy and don't even have ONE bed open. At this point I lost it and just started bawling and decided I was never having this baby. The nurse told me that two women had just delivered and maybe if I call back at 3:00 they can squeeze me in, but it might not happen today. So after bawling in my bed for two hours I called back and they FINALLY told me I could come in. I guess if you are annoying enough they finally get sick of you and admit you! So me and Jord headed over to the hospital, got admitted, they started my I.V., hooked up the pit, and then the waiting game began! I was dilated to a 3 when I got there. The first hour was pretty boring, then I started feeling some mild contractions which weren't comfortable but didn't hurt that bad. Then the doc came in and checked me ( I was now at a 4) stripped my membranes REALLY HARD, and broke my water....oh my it hurt soooooo bad but I just bit my lip and didn't say a word! After doing that, he asked me how my epidural was doing, I told him that I hadn't got my epidural yet. He said "Oh dang, you are a tough girl then! What I just did probably wasn't very comfortable!" Yeah, it killed. Thanks doc. Immediately after the doc broke my water the contractions started KILLING. I will be the first to admit I do NOT have a high pain tolerance, but OH MY GOSH. I thought I was gonna die. But I was trying to hold off on the epidural because the doctor told me that I should try a couple doses of Fentanyl to get me through the pain before I get the epidural. So following the doc's orders, I asked for a dose of Fentanyl. The first 15 min after I got it, I felt high as a kite and was loving life, then it wore off and I had 45 min of HORRIBLE contraction pain. They say to breathe through your contractions....I could not even BREATHE period, it hurt so bad. And my breathing was mostly just cries because I thought I was gonna die lol. Then it was time to get another dose of Fentanyl, but by the time the nurse brought it in, I knew it would not be enough for the pain, so I asked for my epidural. Best decision EVER....next time I will not let them break my water before getting the epidural first! How women have babies naturally I do NOT know. They are either way stronger than me or just plain stupid!! JK, I have a lot of respect for women that can do it without the epidural....but I am NOT one of them and will NEVER try it. After the epidural it was pretty much smooth sailing until I got to an 8. I knew something was wrong because the nurse was kind of whispering and showing the nursing student some things on the monitor and they got out the oxygen mask and cranked it up to a 10 and told me I needed to wear it. Even though I'm not an L&D nurse and don't pretend to remember much about that section of nursing school, I'm not an idiot, I know how to read the monitors. My little guys heart rate was dropping really bad. Late decels, bad news. Next thing I know they are putting all kinds of internal monitors up me, the charge nurse comes into the room, then the doctor, and they are talking about taking me back to the OR to get ready for a c-section. The doc explained to me that my little guy probably had the cord around his neck and was causing his HR to drop, but they would try turning me over and repositioning me to see if his heart rate would come back up. Then if it did, he would give me 20 minutes to get from an 8 to a 10, but if I didn't progress that quick we were going back for a c-section. Luckily by the time they turned me over and got be repositioned, I had gone from a 8 to a 10 in like ten minutes! At this point the doc said I should be fine to deliver vaginally and that he just might have to pull him out with forceps if his HR started dropping again. Luckily his heart rate was good and forceps didn't need to be used (but after almost two hours of pushing I was thinking it wouldn't have been such a bad idea to just pull him out with forceps!) So after about an hour and forty five min of hard pushing, and a second degree episiotomy, and the doc unwrapping the cord from around his neck, I heard my sweet little cone headed baby's first scream! No, not a sweet little cry, SCREAMING! The nurses and doctors were laughing and telling me that he has one of the healthiest pair of lungs they had ever heard!  Madsen J. Van Ausdal was born at 1:39 a.m. weighing eight pounds thirteen ounces, and was 20 1/2 inches long. It was so surreal to see him for the first time, he looked just like his daddy. When they handed him to me I could not believe he was mine. It's the craziest feeling in the world. I have never been so happy in my life. I remember thinking from the very first time I saw him how beautiful he was and how much I loved those little lips! It was adorable to watch my sweet husband through the whole process, and to watch him hold our son for the first time and see him stare at our baby with so much love. Its crazy how watching your husband with your baby just makes you fall in love with him all over again! We are so happy with our little family, and can't wait to start the next chapter in our lives!

 
 




Plenty more pics to come!!

2 comments:

The Mills said...

Great story Kate congrats!

Laken said...

Love! He is adorable I need to hold him again!